GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Andreas Waldenburger usenot at geekmail.INVALID
Fri Jun 11 07:48:59 EDT 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 23:00:37 -0700 (PDT) rantingrick
<rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 12:17 am, ant <shi... at uklinux.net> wrote:
> > I like the points about backwards compatibility. Presumably that
> > reason alone is enough to keep Tkinter in the standard library for a
> > long while.
>
> I don't see why that is a good reason. Download Tkinter and your
> backward compatible again. The majority don't use it anyway. I would
> bet that only myself, Kevin, and only a handful of others use Tkinter
> for anything more than education purposes.

I have a strong suspicion that Tkinter may be used a lot more than is
made public (isn't anything?). I'm especially thinking about scientists
who write special purpose data processing or control programs with
basic GUIs. These things don't have to be pretty or anything and it is
a HUGE advantage if you don't have to jump through any hoops to get it
to run on different platforms.

/W

--
INVALID? DE!