GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Fri Jun 11 13:46:14 EDT 2010

Andreas Waldenburger <usenot at geekmail.INVALID> writes:
> I have a strong suspicion that Tkinter may be used a lot more than is
> made public (isn't anything?). I'm especially thinking about scientists
> who write special purpose data processing or control programs with
> basic GUIs. These things don't have to be pretty or anything and it is
> a HUGE advantage if you don't have to jump through any hoops to get it
> to run on different platforms.

Yes, I don'tthink that's limited to scientists either.  One way to slap
a basic GUI on something is to embed a web server in it, or run it as a
CGI, so the user connects to it with a browser.  I think most
programmers are familiar with that idea, that GUI functionality doesn't
have to be slick in order to be useful.  Other times, you don't want a
browser involved, and tkinter works fine for that.  I've always found
tkinter adequate for the (not terribly slick) applications I've written
with guis.  I can understand it's only good for relatively rudimentary
apps, but that's sufficient for lots of things.