GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jun 13 13:22:51 EDT 2010

On 6/13/2010 7:20 AM, lkcl wrote:

>> I'm far from convinced that HTML and CSS are the One True Way
>> to design GUIs these days,
>
>   if you have "HTML the fileformat" and "CSS the fileformat" in mind
> when saying that, i can tell you right now that they're not.
> fortunately, with the W3C DOM functions exposing properties and style
> attributes, it's possible to manipulate the exact same attributes that
> CSS and HTML "files" provide access to, using a declarative
> programming style.

With all the glamour hoopla over html/css/xml, it took me a while to
realize that the really important thing is the underlying object model
that the serialization formats communicate. I know this is a bit like
saying "words are important because of the thougths they express" (which
is not to say that beauty of expression is unimportant), but my point is
that in explaining pyjames, you are sometimes running up against a
fascination with the surface layers. Pyjamas requires a different
orientation.

Terry Jan Reedy