Printing forms and labels in Python

Monte Milanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 15:25:57 EDT 2010

On 6/13/10 11:30 AM, Joel Goldstick wrote:
> Use django or another web framework, and make your application a web
> app.  With this approach you can display output to a web page, and
> create a print stylesheet that can be finely tuned to print.
>
> This ups your work to get involved with a web framework, but it lets you
> provide your application to users without the need to install.  It also
> makes it totally platform agnostic

Actually, this was kind of the way I originally started out (albeit
looking at PHP & MySQL), for exactly those reasons, except one - the
installation.  Everything else - the gui would be in a familiar browser
frame of reference, and a lot of the get-this/send-that would be a bit
simpler, plus it would be an extension of what I know (and am still
learning) with html/css.

The installation is the big snafu.  This isn't something I can install
on a remote server and just have the users (tournament coordinators and
their data entry helpers) connect to over the internet.  99% of the
time, it will be one person on one computer at a location that is lucky
if they have a 110VAC power outlet nearby.  Any kind of external network
access short of a cell modem is pretty much out of the question.
LAN/Wifi access between machines for some parallel data entry would be
nice, but still asking a lot.  Expecting the end user (volunteers) to
install/configure Apache server, MySQL server, Python, and Django starts
to sound to be a little far-fetched.  I'd had some hope for cherrypy or
web2py since they appear to provide a local http server without needing
all the ancilliary stuff... somehow I didn't get the impression Django
worked that way?