Python OpenSSL library

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Mon Jun 14 13:43:02 EDT 2010

On 6/13/2010 1:59 PM, Michael Crute wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM, astral
> <astral at news.eternal-september.org>  wrote:
>> I am looking for Python OpenSSL library, for Python version 2.5.4 (on
>> Windows)
>> Which does not require to install Cygwin package. Need just to decrypt file,
>> then uninstall library.
>
> You might want to take a look at m2crypto[0]. While I have not
> personally run it on Windows (runs great on OS X and Linux) they do
> provide pre-compiled Windows binaries.
>
> [0] http://chandlerproject.org/bin/view/Projects/MeTooCrypto

    M2Crypto for Python 2.5 works well. I've used it both on Windows
and Linux.  If you have to build it, though; that's a huge pain.
It uses SWIG, and the build process seems to have problems that
require workarounds.

    The new SSL module in Python 2.6 is convenient, but insecure.
It doesn't check whether the remote domain matches the
cert being presented.  So it's vulnerable to man-in-the-middle
attacks, or sites with "borrowed" SSL certs.  See
"http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2010-April/1242166.html".

					John Nagle