GUIs - A Modest Proposal

lkcl luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 08:17:36 EDT 2010

On Jun 15, 1:07 pm, superpollo <ute... at esempio.net> wrote:

> mind you, i am no python expert, but i really look forward to seeing
> pyjamas in the stdlib :-) anytime soon?

 *choke* :)

 ... weelll... let me answer that as if it's serious.  you'd have to:

 a) define http://python.org as including a javascript target for its
output.  given that pypy have (or had) this, that's not entiiirely
outside of the realms of possibility.

 b) include ooo 10,000 lines of base UI widget libraries, which are
all written in pure python.  again, not so bad.

 c) completely rule out any possibility of pyjd because whilst the
win32 dependency is python-comtypes (which depends on ctypes which
whoops rules _that_ out) the free software dependencies are a choice
between pygtk2 plus xulrunner, libcairo, python-cairo, gobject plus
python-gobject and many more plus python-xpcom _plus_ python-hulahop,
or webkitgtk plus pywebkitgtk plus again many of the same pygtk
dependencies, each of which will come to around a whopping 30mb
download comprising some 90 to 100 separate libraries in each case...

 and that's without dealing with the multitude of licenses.

 ... and without pyjd it's somewhat a pointless exercise.

 overall i think this just reaffirms that the minimalist but
extensible python-tk approach really does have distinct advantages.
thus, at last, we come back full circle to the original question.
hooray!

 l.