Installing Python 3.1.2 from source, how do you resolve the sqlite3-dev dependency?

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Wed Jun 16 13:55:10 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Trevor <trevorboydsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Running ubuntu 9.04 "jaunty".
>
> When I run make I get the following error:
>
>    Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these
> modules were not found:
>    _sqlite3
>

> So the easy solution is to just install the missing dependency using
> apt-get, "sudo apt-get -f install libsqlite3-dev" but I get the
> following error:
>
>    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>      libsqlite3-dev: Depends: libsqlite3-0 (= 3.6.10-1) but
> 3.6.10-1ubuntu0.2 is to be installed
>    E: Broken packages
>
> I tried uninstalling "libsqlite3-0" but synaptic said many things
> needed it (50+).
>
> So now I am stuck. I can't install the missing dependency. And
> therefore I can not install python 3.1.2.
>
> **Any ideas on how to fix the missing libsqlite3-dev dependency?**

Make sure that the jaunty-updates repository is enabled in Software
Sources. 3.6.10-1 is the latest version in the normal jaunty
repository, 3.6.10-1ubuntu0.2 is the latest version in the
jaunty-updates repo.

If that still doesn't work, just download the appropriate deb directly
from http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty-updates/libsqlite3-dev