a +b ?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Jun 16 23:34:43 EDT 2010

In article <mailman.1662.1276743037.32709.python-list at python.org>,
James Mills  <prologic at shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
>>
>> And I am not particularly fond of map() and cordially loathe reduce().
>> Speaking as someone with more than twenty years of programming before
>> encountering Python more than a decade ago.
>
>"Loathe" is a particularly STRONG world. Are you sure you meant that ?

Yes, I did mean to use it -- perhaps it is not entirely an accurate
description of my emotional state, but I enjoy the shock effect in this
circumstance.

>What in particular do you _not_ enjoy about using map/reduce (and
>possibly other functional features of the Python programing language) ?

map() never felt particularly Pythonic, especially the way it works with
None as the function combined with multiple arguments.  I can't explain
why I loathe reduce() -- it just doesn't fit my brain.

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra