a +b ?

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Thu Jun 17 00:03:23 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
>>"Loathe" is a particularly STRONG world. Are you sure you meant that ?
>
> Yes, I did mean to use it -- perhaps it is not entirely an accurate
> description of my emotional state, but I enjoy the shock effect in this
> circumstance.
>
>>What in particular do you _not_ enjoy about using map/reduce (and
>>possibly other functional features of the Python programing language) ?
>
> map() never felt particularly Pythonic, especially the way it works with
> None as the function combined with multiple arguments.  I can't explain
> why I loathe reduce() -- it just doesn't fit my brain.

No offense meant, but your "emotional state" has no weight on
the usefulness and effectiveness (or not) of the functional features
of python such as that provided by map() and reduce().

Further: What is "Pythonic" ? This is probably more of a style and
personal taste that might vary from one programmer to another.
I don't recall anywhere in the Python documentation or a Python
document that says map/reduce is or isn't "pythonic" (whatever that means).

Perhaps this list could do without posts pertaining to one's "emotional state".

--James

-- "Problems are solved by method"