super() woes (n00b)

Deadly Dirk dirk at plfn.invalid
Thu Jun 17 12:36:10 EDT 2010

I cannot get right the super() function:
Python 3.1.1+ (r311:74480, Nov  2 2009, 14:49:22)
[GCC 4.4.1] on linux2
==== No Subprocess ====
>>> class P:
    def __init__(__class__,self):
        print("I am a member of class P")

>>> class C(P):
    def __init__(self):
        super().__init__(self)
        print("I am a member of class C")

class P:
    def __init__(self):
        print("I am a member of class P")

class C(P):
    def __init__(self):
        super().__init__(self)
        print("I am a member of class C")

x=C()

That is more or less the text from the "Quick Python Book". What am I
doing wrong?

--
The missionaries go forth to Christianize the savages -
as if the savages weren't dangerous enough already.