setup server from scratch (with or without apache?)

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Jun 21 02:54:48 EDT 2010

News123, 20.06.2010 13:12:
> Now I have the opportunity to setup a server from scratch.
> 90% of the content will be non visual content over https with client AND
> server certificates.
> Access privileges will depend on the client certificate.
>
> I will only have one IP address and only port 443.
>
> 1.) What alternatives would exist compared to apache / mod_python
 > 5.) What about mod_wsgi vs. mod_python

As others have pointed out, mod_wsgi is preferable over mod_python. In any
case, you want your code to run on top of WSGI, as it makes it independent
of a specific web server environment (i.e. much more future proof).

I've read happy comments on nginx as an HTTP/S server for WSGI apps, both
for being easy to install and set up, and for being fast, versatile and
resource friendly. I'd try that before going for an Apache installation.

I'd also second the advice to start with a WSGI setup on top of CGI that's
simple to set up, redeploy and test, and then move on to more involved and
less agile deployments when you see that you need them.

Stefan