OT! Python vs... Objective-C!

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Mon Jun 21 10:14:37 EDT 2010

On 6/21/10 6:47 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-06-21, Stephen Hansen <me+list/python at ixokai.io> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I'm just learning Objective-C on my spare time, and am having these
>> entirely disturbing feelings of familiarity, where strange swirling
>> thoughts enter my head that sound oddly like, "This feels sorta
>> Pythony, how oddly pleasant." With, of course, a bad smell from the
>> syntax at the same time.
>
> Both drew a great deal of inspiration from Smalltalk.  It's much more
> obvious in O-C's syntax than in Python's.

Oh, that somehow skipped my mind. I knew the Objective part came from
Smalltalk, but knowing that in the back of my head didn't get over to my
emotional side of my brain which was finding it all comfortable after I
learned it.

Yeah, I think you've pegged it.

>> And yet, after a day or two in it, it doesn’t really bother me so
>> much anymore.
>
> Sort of like significant whitespace?  At first I thought it a horrible
> idea.

Oh, we all did. Its more the symbols, I usually get annoyed by symbols
in every language and don't quite get past it. Objective-C has a lot of
them; from - instance methods to + class methods to @everything to the
^{ blocks } and such.

But its less offensive to my eye and brain then say, Perl or even Ruby.
They never quite stopped jarring when I learned those languages.

Anyhoo. Appreciate the insight. :)

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai