Is this make sence? Dynamic assembler for python

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Mon Jun 21 13:26:21 EDT 2010

On 6/21/10 10:12 AM, MRAB wrote:
> A human can write better assembly code than a compiler, but would take a
> much longer, and usually for not much gain, so it's usually a waste of
> time (premature optimisation, and all that).

When you get to the point where you're considering writing something in
assembly, its no longer "premature" -- you are clearly in a domain which
needs to process a lot of data and crunch it very efficiently.

Once you're at that point, there can be quite significant gain.

Fortunately, the vast majority of people, and situations, and programs,
don't ever get there.

And even more fortunately: very, very often when those people who *do*
get to that place, they actually can use a library which has already
done it and get those major performance gains without writing the
assembly themselves.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai