setup server from scratch (with or without apache?)

News123 news1234 at free.fr
Mon Jun 21 20:19:42 EDT 2010

News123 wrote:
> Hi,
>

> So far I never really had to ask this question and this is also, why I
> am stil a little shaky on this topic:
>
> So far the typical LAMP server existed already and contained already a
> lot of existing PHP web applications, which I couldn't remove.
> Therefore I just used mod_python to implement some minor functionality
> next to it.
>
> Now I have the opportunity to setup a server from scratch.
> 90% of the content will be non visual content over https with client AND
> server certificates.
> Access privileges will depend on the client certificate.

Thanks a lot for all your answers.

So it seems it's rather smart to not stick with mod_python,
though it might be, that it's just restin' .

As a first test I tried to use
apache with mod_wsgi and a hello world python wsgi script.

This works fine.

Almost everything of my mod_python code should translate rather easily.

The one problem, that I have is following.

my mod_python code uses:
 req.add_common_vars()
 ssh_dn_o = req.ssl_var_lookup("SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_O")

How could I obtain apache's SSL variable 'SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_O'

I'd like, that my script reacts differently depending on the client's
SSL certificate.

If that problem is solved then I could probably get rid of mod_python.