Should I Learn Python or Ruby next?

Josef Tupag joseftupag at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 04:58:00 EDT 2010

I've been programming (when I do program) mainly in
Perl<http://www.perl.org/>for the last 10 years or so. But I've been
itching to learn a new language
for a while now, and the two near the top of the list are
Ruby<http://www.ruby-lang.org/>and
Python <http://python.org/>.

I figure that Ruby would be easy to learn because of its similarity to Perl
(I'm told). But I also figure that Python would be easy to learn because of
its simplicity. And when it comes to webby stuff, I can use
Rails<http://www.rubyonrails.org/>with Ruby and
Django <http://www.djangoproject.com/> with Python.

I'm currently leaning toward Python and began doing so last week. I started
with Mark Pilgrim's excellent Dive Into Python
<http://diveintopython.org/>and made it thru the first 3 chapters
pretty quickly. So far it feels pretty
good.

Before I really dive in, though, I'm curious to hear what others think about
the choice between these two languages.

(On a related note, you might also read Tim Bray's On
Ruby<http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2006/07/24/Ruby>post,
since he just started learning Ruby.)

Josef Tupag - best humidifier <http://thebesthumidifiers.com>