Book review / advise

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Tue Jun 22 16:09:40 EDT 2010

Stephen Hansen <me+list/python at ixokai.io> writes:

> On 6/22/10 6:48 AM, lallous wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wonder if anyone read this:
>> http://www.amazon.com/PYTHON-2-6-Extending-Embedding-documentation/dp/1441419608/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277214352&sr=1-7
>> or this:
>> http://www.amazon.com/Python-Extending-Embedding-Documentation-Manual/dp/1441412743/ref=pd_sim_b_3
>>
>> Are these books just a print out of the manual that comes w/ Python
>> distribution or they are written in a different way and more organized
>> way?
>
> Uhh, that looks like a scam.

Uh, it looks like you're making a lot of drama and innuendo where none
is required. The OP links show books which have *clearly* the version in
the title. As for the 3 version, that's not different from the other
books on 3 in my experience. For example the excellent (IMO) "Programming
in Python 3: A Complete Introduction to the Python Language" (30 USD)
just came out with a 2nd edition a month or 2 after I had bought the
first. So if this is a scam how is publishing an "updated" version
shortly after the first version, each book about 30 USD? (Mind, I am not
complaining, I am happy that Mark decided to make an updated version
available, I own both editions).

> Someone scraped the Python docs and bundled
> it up as a "book" to sell to naive people for outrageous prices; and put
> Guido's name on it to give it legitimacy.
>
> It also bundles up the *tutorial* for $22. There's a number of very
> good, large Python books which sell for that. Surely Fred L Drake and
> Gudio aren't really involved in this. I wonder if they even know about
> it.

At 304 pages I think 22 USD is a reasonable price. Again, you make a lot
of drama where there is none.

And the product description makes /very clear/ what it's about: This is
a printed edition of the official Python documentation from the PYTHON
2.6.1 distribution. For each copy sold $1 will be donated to the PYTHON
SOFTWARE FOUNDATION by the publisher.

Now let's hope that your asshat behaviour doesn't stop companies like
this to continue to print those books. I have considered to buy the
complete set a few times. And I hope you're not calling me naive...

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Hacking & Hiking in Mexico -  http://johnbokma.com/