Should I Learn Python or Ruby next?

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Tue Jun 22 19:59:40 EDT 2010

On 6/22/2010 4:09 PM rantingrick said...
<snip>

> ...After reading these comments i reminisce back to a time when a good
> friend of this community "r" said basically the same things but was
> lynched for them.Hmm? Has the community changed? Or is it that these
> comments came from someone other than "r" that they go unpunished.
> Hmm, riddles in the dark...?

Hmm, I don't remember the thread you're referring to, but when Matz
launched Ruby and the volume of posts on c.l.py talking about ruby
increased, we all wished him the best and voted to establish c.l.ruby.
(OK, call it voted him off the island if you wish.)  As I recall,
compilation was the biggest missing piece that Matz wanted and my
impression was that Ruby in the early days used much of what was then
pythonesque.  I always figured to take a closer look if/when python
didn't run as quickly as I needed.   Hasn't happened yet...

Emile