Why Is Escaping Data Considered So Magical?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Jun 25 01:54:51 EDT 2010

On 25Jun2010 15:38, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
| In message <2010062422432660794-angrybaldguy at gmailcom>, Owen Jacobson wrote:
| > Why would I write this when SQLAlchemy, even without using its ORM
| > features, can do it for me?
|
| SQLAlchemy doesn’t seem very flexible. Looking at the code examples
| <http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/examples.html>, they’re very procedural:
| build object, then do a string of separate method calls to add data to it. I
| prefer the functional approach, as in my table-update example.

He said "without using its ORM". I do what you suggest (make SQL
statements at need) using SQLalchemy all the time. It is simple and easy
and _robust_ against odd data. The number of times I've had to
fix/remove insert-values-into-SQL-text code ...
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Plague, Famine, Pestilence, and C++ stalk the land. We're doomed! Doomed!
        - Simon E Spero