improving python performance by extension module (64bit)

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 07:15:21 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Tim Wintle <tim.wintle at teamrubber.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 21:52 -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
>> http://psyco.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> The above package can improve python program on 32 bit library. But I
>> need to run on 64 bit library. Is there any other module that can help
>> improving the performance of python on 64 bit?
>
> As I understand it, Psycho isn't likely to get updated to 64-bit unless
> someone decides to supply a significant amount of funding to the
> developers.
>
> If you've on a platform where compiling C is easy then I'd highly
> recommending using Cython for objects that have to be high-performance:
> http://cython.org/
>
> (It generates C from slightly modified python code - I use it on various
> 64-bit *nix platforms)
>
> Otherwise you could write a standard C extension.
>
> The major native-code generation projects that I know of are Pypy and
> Unladen Swallow, but neither of them are ready for use on 64-bit.
>

> Tim

Assuming you really need something like psyco, Cython's the way to
go- but you may want to look into writing a C extension, too. I've
found in some cases that it can actually be easier than using ctypes
or Cython.

Geremy Condra

PS- a brief note, at some point this week the browser extension I use
to swap the 'reply' and 'reply to all' buttons decided to die, so if you've
gotten an offlist reply from me during that period, sorry about that.