deprecated string module issue

GrayShark howe.steven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 17:31:17 EDT 2010

Why the rudness Terry Jan Reedy? Get up on the wrong side of the bed? Or
worse luck, no one on the other side to create a wrong side?

As to your comment about Logilab's pylint. I'v seen a ticket similar to
this from three months back. I assume they're not fixing it because if
you review 'string' via pydoc you'd read this:

---------------------------------------
Help on module string:

NAME
    string - A collection of string operations (most are no longer used).

FILE
    /usr/lib64/python2.6/string.py

DESCRIPTION
    Warning: most of the code you see here isn't normally used nowadays.
    Beginning with Python 1.6, many of these functions are implemented as
    methods on the standard string object. They used to be implemented by
    a built-in module called strop, but strop is now obsolete itself.

---------------------------------------

Not the 1.6. Seems some serious work went into putting the 'string's
functionality into _builtin_.

I've seen many 'deprecated' warnings when programming in PyGTK, as
modules get replaced or functionality changes. I've always assumed it
means that the module will be removed at some future date. An advisory to
programmers and users.

You might note what 'deprecated' means. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/
deprecated
tr.v. de·pre·cat·ed, de·pre·cat·ing, de·pre·cates
1. To express disapproval of; deplore.
2. To belittle; depreciate.
3. Computer Science To mark (a component of a software standard) as
obsolete to warn against its use in the future so that it may be phased
out.

Not the third definition. It applies here. I was inquiring about what
other module I should be using instead, having grep'ped my way through
	/usr/lib64/python2.6/*.py

for a replacement.

Nor a naive user here. Been programming/using python since 2000 (java,
C++, C, APL, Fortan and Basic before that). Python's my favorite place to
do math (since I don't have an APL environment anymore, where a cross or
dot product is just a single operator away). I decided to ask a question
about an issue that's been on my mind for years. Not really sorry if that
bother's your incorrect belief of who can ask questions.

There are subjects for each posting. Perhaps you should just ignore ones
that aren't interesting to you? Or get a life and a girl/boy friend, so
you'll have less time to make snipping remarks (check out:
'http://www.thefreedictionary.com/snipe' if you don't understand snipe).

have a better day.
GrayShark.