best way to increment an IntVar?

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Sat Jun 26 02:32:13 EDT 2010

[Sent to python-list and CC'd]

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:31 PM, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:

> Clearly the user is upset and blabbing all sorts of incendiary
> nonsense but again and again the good folks at SketchUp stay calm and
> always attempt to help. This is how i would like to see this group get
> along. Of course we can still have fun and be sarcastic, but we need

to collaborate more because this constant in-fighting is slowing
> Python's development progress. Look guys, check your egos and pride at
> the door, when you're here, you're family!

Disagreement with you, and opposition to your style of rhetorical, self-help
caliber inspirational speeches to make claims on purely emotional levels,
does not indicate an "ego" or "pride".

Frankly, if you think the issues you have with this community are because of
"ego" and "pride" on other's side-- you're deluded to the point of
absurdity.

This community goes out of its way, far beyond any reasonable expectation,
to understand the problems people have -- and help them to find solutions.
If you can't see that then you are trolling with an agenda, there's
absolutely no other explanation I can find credible. It goes out of its way
to, with laudable patience, to help those who come here.

What you perceive as "in-fighting" is, by and large (the occasional endless
thread of semantic debate over call/pass meaning notwithstanding) is called
"debate". Its a virtue, not a vice. Its a good thing.

We're engineers (even if many do not really consider themselves such).
Intelligent people with widely different experiences and widely different
bases of our point of views, with extremely wide ranges of interest and
priorities. Python isn't like SketchUp, the problems people solve with this
are *extremely* varied. Through debate we find consensus, or, where lacking
consensus and an arbitrary gut feeling from the BDFL, a topic is clearly not
ready for being solved on a "global" scale.

Python's development is also not handled here. This is not the forum through
which it evolves. This is the forum through which it is used. Sure, an
occasional idea of its evolution is brought up here for people to discuss
how they would use it -- and sometimes a consensus is reached, and
thereafter a clear mandate appears. More often, we're just people, with
varied interests, experiences, purposes, and agendas.

The thing is, except for you and a couple rare other, most of us sort of
understand that our own personal interest, experience, purpose and agenda
doesn't translate to universal interest, experience, purpose and agenda.

Do you see the difference?

--Stephen