deprecated string module issue

John Pinner funthyme at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 06:56:40 EDT 2010

On Jun 25, 11:14 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:31:17 -0500, GrayShark wrote:
> > Why the rudness Terry Jan Reedy? Get up on the wrong side of the bed? Or
> > worse luck, no one on the other side to create a wrong side?
>
> I see only one person being rude here, and that's you.

True.

> Terry made the
> very reasonable observation that you would serve the community, and thank
> us, by posting a bug report to pylint, rather than just ignoring it, and
> you respond with a totally bogus accusation of "rudeness" followed by
> comments about what you imagine Terry's personal life is like.

Except that it is not a bug, but a configuration issue:

pylint's behaviour is governed by its config file, pylintrc. In the
[IMPORTS] section, there is a line:

deprecated-modules=regsub,string,TERMIOS,Bastion,rexec

So if you edit this line to remove string, the warning will not be
made.

Although I find that most of the default pylint settings are eminently
sensible, and wouldn't remove string from the deprecated modules
myself.

I find pylint (and pychecker) to be invaluable. Thanks to our friends
at Logilab for pylint, and to Neal Norwitz for pychecker!

> As for your guess as to why pylint haven't fixed the ticket "similar to"
> this issue:
>
> > As to your comment about Logilab's pylint. I've seen a ticket similar to
> > this from three months back. I assume they're not fixing it because if
> > you review 'string' via pydoc you'd read this:
>
> [...]
>
> Or possibly the ticket has just been missed, and all it needs is a
> comment made saying "This has bitten me too" and somebody will attend to
> it.
>
> Or not -- who knows? But making *assumptions* that a pylint bug won't be
> fixed because of the docstring in the string module is foolish. Unless
> the bug is marked as "Won't fix", the safe assumption is that it hasn't
> been worked on YET.

Like I said, it isn't a bug...

Best wishes,

John