I strongly dislike Python 3

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Sat Jun 26 14:57:16 EDT 2010

On 6/26/10 11:41 AM, John Bokma wrote:
> Stephen Hansen<me+list/python at ixokai.io>  writes:
>
>> No, "I'm" not trying to kill Python 2 at all. My current estimation is
>> that I'll be using it for at least the next three years -- library
>> conversion momentum is there, but its happening faster in the pure
>> Python libraries then a few critical C extensions I rely upon.
>
> Based on my experience with Perl usage [1] I guess that Python 2 will be not
> dead for 5 - 10 years.

I wouldn't expect it to be dead for a long time, either. There's too
much written in it, in broad areas of usage-- and if something just
works people may not be inclined to change. But then again, I know of
more then one area where people are using Python 1.5.2, and even more
who haven't moved past 2.3 and don't plan to anytime soon.

There's always going to be people left behind; the 2->3 transition just
might leave a bigger clump. But I still do suspect most will make that
transition if they're in an area that's under active development and not
just maintenance.

>> Done means finished: complete, not going to be advanced any further.
>
> I think that's not true. If enough people want to support Python 2 it
> might be possible to advance Python 2.

I stand by the statement-- but do acknowledge that its possible for it
to be revived in the future, if enough people end up wanting to. Be it
by a fork, or if python-dev changes their mind.

But as it stands, 2.7 is end-of-line for the 2.x series. I think calling
it "done" is pretty accurate :)

But I again want to make a point, I'm saying done, not dead. Python 2 is
alive and vibrant, and I quite look forward to upgrading to 2.7 where I
can (sadly, in many places I'm stuck on 2.4). The community around
Python 2 remains active and interested, even as more and more start
diverting attention to Python 3 compatibility / porting... Python 2
isn't being abandoned by anyone yet.

But that doesn't mean its going to *go* anywhere from here. This is all
I was trying to say with 'done'.

> Personally I think it's good to clean up the closet now and then. But
> probably has also to do with me being "new" to the language and not
> having to port 101 Python programs to 3 :-D.

I'm hoping this is just a one-time thing; that we'll never see a Py4k
event. But, I'm also happy this was evolutionary and not a major rewrite
-- it feels to me like breaking a bone to set it It hurts now, but
everything will grow better after.

--

    ... Stephen Hansen
    ... Also: Ixokai