I strongly dislike Python 3

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jun 26 15:08:48 EDT 2010

>> No, "I'm" not trying to kill Python 2 at all. My current estimation is
>> that I'll be using it for at least the next three years -- library
>> conversion momentum is there, but its happening faster in the pure
>> Python libraries then a few critical C extensions I rely upon.
>
> Based on my experience with Perl usage [1] I guess that Python 2 will be not
> dead for 5 - 10 years.

Certainly so. The three year estimation of Stephen was for his own
personal usage. Python 2.7 will only fade out of existence once it
fails to build and install on then-current operating systems.

>> Done means finished: complete, not going to be advanced any further.
>
> I think that's not true. If enough people want to support Python 2 it
> might be possible to advance Python 2.

That won't be sufficient: enough people wanting support won't have any
effect. People also need to want it enough to actually fork from
python.org. They would then have to convince Linux packagers to include
it in the distribution even though it's not available from python.org,
and convince Windows users to download it from some other place than
python.org. I think people will find that this isn't really worth the
trouble.

Regards,
Martin