Python interface problem with Windows

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Sat Jun 26 19:26:47 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Kermit Rose <kermit at polaris.net> wrote:
> On 6/26/2010 5:27 PM, Robert Kern wrote:
>>
>> I do not provide Python support in private email. Please try the
>> python-list:

>> or its USENET gateway:

>> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 16:23, Kermit Rose<kermit at polaris.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Robert.
>>>
>>> I had a friend download Python in order that he run a python program
>>> that I had written.
>>>
>>> After he had Python 2.6 installed, I copied my Python program
>>> to his c-drive.
>>>
>>> I then opened idle, and then new window.
>>>
>>> I then used the windows copy and paste to copy the source code into
>>> the new window.
>>>
>>> I then attempted to save the new code.
>>>
>>> It responded that the Python26 folder did not have permission for me to
>>> save the file.
>>>
>>> It seems to be a problem with the operating system interface with the
>>> installation of Python2.6
>>>
>>> We checked the properties of the Python26 folder.
>>>
>>> It had the read only property set.
>>>
>>> We unchecked the read only property, and then clicked "apply".
>>>
>>> Then when we checked properties of Python26 folder again,
>>> it still had the read only property set.
>>>
>>> Can you help us?  We would like to be able to create and run Python
>>> programs on his computer.
>>>
>>> Kermit Rose

You don't need to save scripts in C:\Python26. In fact, doing so is a
very bad idea. You should keep the libraries in one place (that would
be C:\Python26 ) and all of your individual programs somewhere else
(like your Documents folder) where you don't have to worry if two
different projects have files of the same name. For security reasons,
you don't have permission to write to the whole hard drive, just your
home directory.