I strongly dislike Python 3

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jun 26 19:46:57 EDT 2010

On 6/26/2010 11:59 AM, Stefan Reich wrote:

> I don't like Python 3.

I love it.

> My complaint is about changing the syntax of "print".

Having completely switched from 'printf(' to 'print ', I have had a bit
of a problem switching back to 'print('. It is my single largest source
of typos. But a decent system that puts me at the site of syntax errors
alleviates this. Logic bugs are a much bigger problem.

Nonetheless, I support the switch. Not just for the symmetry with
input(), but because it properly is a function. And I really prefer
print('xyz', file=myfile), which I do use, to the ugly >>myfile hack.

[snip]
> To reiterate, I am strongly in disfavor of Python 3 and will stick to
>  Python 2, for as least as long as Python 3 breaks my scripts.

Although I an not using 2.x currently, I am one of the people who
suggested and supported the idea of fixing bugs for 2.7 for several
years. I hope it someday becomes a polished jewel with essentially no
bugs. I expect it to be used a long time.

On the other hand, I strongly feel Python3 is better for student just
learning to program who do not need 2.x libraries.

--
Terry Jan Reedy