I strongly dislike Python 3

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 08:41:59 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Martin v. Loewis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I didn't notice this level of angst when Python made equally significant
>> changes going from 1.5 to 2.0...
>
> I think the *level* was about the same (IIRC). People would say that
> they ignore 2.x for years, and that it is important to continue
> supporting 1.5.2 for a long time (about until 2.4 was released).
>
> What's different now is the *amount* of angst. That's not surprising:
> there is a much larger user community now with investment into Python
> 2.x, and they are concerned, and worried about the work that they have
> to perform.
>
> In addition to your observations: what the 3.x haters fail to recognize
> is that the porting effort is actually much smaller than they think it
> is.

I think one point which needs to be emphasized more is what does
python 3 bring to people. The" what's new in python 3 page" gives the
impression that python 3 is about removing cruft. That's a very poor
argument to push people to switch.

I doubt "porting is easier than you think" will convince many people
if they don't know what the gain will be. For example, porting numpy
and scipy to py3k has been easier than I thought, but besides making
it easier for other people to switch, I can't see *any* benefit.
That's bound to frustrate people.

David