I strongly dislike Python 3

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Sun Jun 27 13:39:04 EDT 2010

On 6/27/10 9:26 AM, rantingrick wrote:
>> That being said, Stephen's statement was very broad, but I think it's
>> true: print is primarily used in small scripts, or script-like testing
>> functions/methods.
>
> No, Stephen's comments were NOT general in any way and they where in
> fact very specific... "If you use the print statement/function you're
> are a noob and your code is a toy". And i think there's and air of
> "also you're beneath me" in the tone of it too.

Excuse me?

You do not speak for me. Do not put words into my mouth: especially
words which are not at *all* what I said.

I said, "P.S. Am I the only one who has never, ever, even *seen* a
'print' statement in non-toy or non-bash-script-style code in any
application or even third-party library I looked at? Except, on
occasion, for quick and dirty debugging. Perhaps because I'm more used
to cross-platform to windows development, where a stray print can
actually break the entire application (depending on contexts, if one is
run under a service or sometimes even pythonw".

If you actually practice your reading comprehension-- I know this is
difficult for you-- then you would see there's three categories of
places I have seen print statements:

  - Toys (do you even know what I mean by that?)
  - Bash-script-style code (this is /very/ broad, and I do it all the time)
  - Debugging (qualified as 'quick and dirty', as opposed to debugging
using say, the logging module or some other framework)

I then further qualified that its possible my own personal experience is
the way it is, because I may be using applications and libraries which
focus more on windows support then others who may be doing a great deal
more in a pure-Unix environment where things are more sensible (i.e., a
program always has a stdout, even if its /dev/null, as opposed to on
windows, where you sometimes just have none at all, and writing to it
kills your program).

For you to mischaracterize that all into, "you're a noob and your code
is a toy" goes far beyond simple misunderstanding and into malicious
false attribution.

Usually our disagreements have at least the vaguest *semblance* of an
actual argument, notwithstanding your long wanderings in sophistry and
substance-less rants. Now if you've decided to go down the path of
rewriting what I say into something it completely isn't, instead of
actually responding to it: then I have no time for you.

You're *this* close to getting killfiled after all. Your usual nonsense
is one thing, you usually have the barest sense of decency to actually
quote me when you respond. If you're going to paraphrase me, do so
accurately at least-- or do so after quoting what I actually said, if
you wish to reinterpret my words.

--

    ... Stephen Hansen
    ... Also: Ixokai