Why Python3

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Mon Jun 28 00:25:49 EDT 2010

On 6/27/2010 8:28 PM, Carl Banks wrote:
> On Jun 27, 5:12 pm, Terry Reedy<tjre... at udel.edu>  wrote:
>> I think that covers the main transitions in core Python.
>
> Nice post, but it's missing one thing.
>
> The main benefit of Python 3 for Joe Q. Scripter is this:
>
> The Python team doesn't have to spend any effort on maintaining a lot
> of old obsolete cruft, and can devote that time to fixing bugs and
> maintaining useful stuff instead.
>
> So they will benefit even if they don't actually use new features.

    Unfortunately, that's not what's happening in the development
pipeline.  PyPy targets Python 2.5. Unladen Swallow targets Python
2.6.1.  IronPython targets Python 2.6.  C module support for
CPython 3.x is still very spotty.  We have a long way to go
before Python 3.x is ready for prime time.

    Yes, it's a better language, but it's just not there yet.

					John Nagle