Python as a scripting language. Alternative to bash script?

Dave Pawson dave.pawson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 12:08:14 EDT 2010

Thanks for the replies (and Benjamin).
Not met with the subprocess idea.

On 28 June 2010 16:29, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net> wrote:

>> Main queries are:
>> Ease of calling out to bash to use something like imageMagick or Java?
>
> You don't need to call bash to call an external program.  Check out the
> subprocess module.

Will do.

  If you do need a shell to simplify calling a
> program (environment and wild card expansione.g.) don't call bash.

I can get what I want from Python. No envars needed.

>> Ease of grabbing return parameters? E.g. convert can return both
>> height and width of an image. Can this be returned to the Python program?
>
> Just to set the terminology straight, a parameter is what you call the
> function with.  The return value is what it returns.  The program
> output is what it emits (prints.)

My bad. I mean return values, though I do want
program out from (for example) identify

> Programs return an integer value.  This is also called the exit
> status.

Sheer greed, for identify I may get either a return value or an exit
status (bad input etc) :-)
Looks like subprocess can hack it though.

> What you want is the output of the program.  For this you need to
> capture the output and parse it.
>
> Look at the subprocess module.

Will do.
tks D'Arcy (and Benjamin)