I strongly dislike Python 3

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Mon Jun 28 12:53:46 EDT 2010

On 6/28/10 9:23 AM, Thomas Jollans wrote:
>>> Installing Linux is still a LOT easier than installing a working MSYS
>>> since you get proper package management with proper dependency
>>> resolution, while with MSYS, you end up downloading dozens of different
>>> inter-dependent GNU packages one-by-one until anything works. At least
>>> that's what it looked like a couple of months ago.
>>>
>>> Granted, cygwin has a nice installer.
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> The hardest part about installing msys is adding mingw-get to the PATH.
>> Then you just "mingw-get install mingwrt w32api binutils gcc" and you
>> have your basic environment done. If there's something you want in
>> addition, say gdb, you just mingw-get install gdb. You don't have to
>> pick and choose various interdependent packages. It does allt he
>> dependency stuff for the packages it can handle.
>>
>> Now, mingw-get is a bit newish (though I don't know when they came out
>> with it), but before that you only had to pick and choose packages IIRC
>> if you decided you wanted a really minimal msys. You could get a basic
>> 'meh, basically everything normal' and just run with it and have nearly
>> everything you'd expect in a bash-command-line sort of environment.
>>

> mingw-get. That might be exactly the tool I wish I'd had. Does it
> install MSYS as well or only strictly MinGW components? To quote the
> information I did have (which is still on the MinGW homepage):
>
> """Currently, the best way to download MSYS is to choose the MSYS
> components you want from the download page and to extract them one by
> one in an empty directory."""

Umm, I'm confused now.

I have no idea, I think perhaps I last installed msys itself with the
full-installer bit, and have since added certain mingw components with
mingw-get, but I have no idea.

Except I swear that's not what happened.

I don't know, I retract all claims, and am going to go back to my OSX
Terminal.app :)

--

    ... Stephen Hansen
    ... Also: Ixokai