N00b question: matching stuff with variables.

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Mon Jun 28 13:29:35 EDT 2010

Hi, all.  I've got a file which, in turn, contains a couple thousand
filenames.  I'm writing a web front-end, and I want to return all the
filenames that match a user-input value.  In Perl, this would be something
like,

if (/$value/){print "$_ matches\n";}

But trying to put a variable into regex in Python is challenging me --
and, indeed, I've seen a bit of scorn cast upon those who would do so in
my Google searches ("You come from Perl, don't you?").

Here's what I've got (in ugly, prototype-type code):

file=open('/tmp/event_logs_listing.txt' 'r')   # List of filenames
seek = form["serial"].value                    # Value from web form
for line in file:
   match = re.search((seek)",(.*),(.*)", line) # Stuck here

Clearly, the line, above, is just plain ol' wrong, but I'm including it to
give a hint of what I'm trying to do.  What's the correct Python-esque way
to go about this?

Thanks!

-Ken

believed to be clean.