Why Python3

OKB (not okblacke) brenNOSPAMbarn at NObrenSPAMbarn.net
Mon Jun 28 13:58:10 EDT 2010

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> None of PyPy, Unladen Swallow or IronPython are dependencies for
> Python 3.x to be "ready for prime time". Neither is C module
> support.

    	I think this is being overoptimistic.  For me, "ready for prime
time" means "I can rely on being able to find a way to do what I want to
do with it."  This includes being able to find third-party libraries
that do what I want to do.  Right now, I can't really rely on Python 3
in this way.

<snip>
> For the rest of us, you can do a lot with just Python 3.1, with or
> without C modules. Whether it does *enough* to be considered for
> deployment depends on what you're deploying it to do. I for one
> would not hesitate to use Python 3.1 as a scripting language, or
> for any application where the standard library is all you need. You
> can do a lot with just the standard library.

    	The thing is that, for me at least, this isn't sufficient, because
I often don't know what all I'm going to need when I start off.  I may
decide to add some new feature that requires an extra library, and
only then find out that I can't, because that library doesn't exist
for Python 3.  Some things are part of the standard lib, some aren't.  I
want to be able to start a project and be able to find what I need,
whether that's part of the standard lib or not.

--
--OKB (not okblacke)
Brendan Barnwell