optparse TypeError

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 23:29:11 EDT 2010

On Jun 28, 9:56 pm, Ben Finney <ben+pyt... at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Michele Simionato <michele.simion... at gmail.com> writes:
> > optparse is so old-fashioned. Use plac!
>
> The OP should be made aware that:
>
> * plac is a third-party library with (TTBOMK) no prospect of inclusion
>   in the standard library
>
> * optparse is in the standard library and has been for many versions
>
> * argparse is a third-party library that is now accepted for inclusion
>   in the standard library, intended as a full optparse replacement
>   <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0389/>

All valid points. I will just add that plac is based on argparse and
nothing else, so it is an external dependency, yes, but not a large
dependency. Moreover the core is only 200 lines. People can just grab
http://micheles.googlecode.com/hg/plac/plac_core.py, and include it in
their personal code base, possibly adapting it (I mean for people
preferring recipes to external dependencies).

         Michele Simionato