Python as a scripting language. Alternative to bash script?

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se
Tue Jun 29 05:18:33 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-28, Dave Pawson wrote:
> I've a fairly long bash script and I'm wondering
> how easy it would be to port to Python.
>
> Main queries are:
> Ease of calling out to bash to use something like imageMagick or Java?
> Ease of grabbing return parameters? E.g. convert can return both
> height and width of an image. Can this be returned to the Python program?
> Can Python access the exit status of a program?
>
> I'd prefer the advantages of using Python, just wondering if I got
> so far with the port then found it wouldn't do something?

As other remarked, bash has advantages, too.

Personally, if my main job is chaining other non-trivial programs into
pipelines and sequences, I don't hesitate to use Bourne shell or bash.
Perl is for heavier text processing, and Python for problems with more
elaborate data types.

Note the distinction Bourne shell/bash. If you can get away with it,
use bash for medium/large-sized scripts. Many people try to avoid
bash-specific syntax, but they miss out on lots of things that make
programs maintainable, like local variables.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .  .
\X/     snipabacken.se>   O  o   .