PDF Generation With Reportlab

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Jun 30 03:52:34 EDT 2010

Albert Leibbrandt <albertl at compuscan.co.ug> wrote:

>I am hoping there is someone out there that knows reportlab quite well.
>I posted this on the reportlab mailing list but there is not much
>activity on that list

Never the less, that is the correct forum for this question.  The ReportLab
mailing list is operated and manned by ReportLab employees.  They know the
code better than anyone.

>I am currently generating a pdf report using reportlab 2.3 and python
>2.5.4. The report has a table that spans multiple pages. My problem is
>that the portions on the table that continues after the first page, is
>starting at a point not defined by me, so it creates a layer over the
>logo which is on each page.
>How do I specify the starting point of each page the table spans ?

Are you talking about something more sophisticated than setting the
topMargin property in the SimpleDocTemplate constructor?  If you have a
logo on each page, you'd want your top margin to exclude that logo.  The
default top margin is 1 inch.  If that's not enough, extend it.  If you
need different margins on different pages, then you need something more
sophisticated than SimpleDocTemplate.

>Normally I would use pagebreak and spacers but I cannot figure out how
>to fit this into the table structure.

Page breaks and spacers are absolutely the wrong way to handle this.  Think
about this as a Word document.  If you want to exclude the logo, you'd
change the top margin to protect it.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.