pyc runtime error

Baris CUHADAR 189780 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 04:54:14 EDT 2010

On Jun 30, 11:31 am, Rami Chowdhury <rami.chowdh... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-06-30 01:06, Baris CUHADAR wrote:
>
> > Can anyone explain this unexpected behavior?
>
> I'm sorry -- can you let us know what behavior you're expecting?
>
> > all files chmod 755, i've compiled x.py with py_compilefiles,
> > also tried within python console with "import x"
>
> > system:  centos 5.4 32bit
>
> > This a PATH related problem i think?
>
> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do but from what I can
> see, you are expecting .pyc files to be directly executed by the shell. And
> as I understand them, they are *not* meant to be directly executed by the
> shell at all -- they're simply a sometimes-useful shortcut for the Python
> interpreter.
>
> Python scripts like your x.py, however, *are* meant to be executed by the
> shell. Have you tried:
>
> [user at box cgi-bin]$ ./x.py
>
> ?
>
> > [root at centos-14 cgi-bin]# ./x.pyc
>
> May I ask, as well, why you're doing all of this as root?
>

> > [root at centos-14 cgi-bin]# python x.pyc
>
> > python
> > 2.4.3 (#1, Sep  3 2009, 15:37:12)
> > [GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46)]
>
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> > x.py file content:
>
> > #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> > print "Content-Type:text/html\n\n"
> > print "python"
> > import sys
> > print sys.version

Thank you for your replies.
This machine is a local virtual test machine so security issues are
omitted.

Actually i wrote some scripts in python that are working as gateway
controlling scripts iptables/tc/squid-proxy, and i want to execute
them as cgi. Protection of source code is also important. These
scripts works fine with ubuntu 9.10 and ubuntu 10.04, trying to
eleminate this execution error and successfully port them to centos
5.4. Or i have to rewrite these scripts in C which is time comsuming.

On centos 5.4, i think httpd tries to execute it as i did "./x.pyc".