1.5.1 Py_XDECREF Core

Sunil sunileswar at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 05:39:21 EDT 2010

Hi,

We are using a legacy product which is using 1.5.1 version of Python and we have seen frequent core dumps offlate which is as below

#0  0x2b79b0 in list_dealloc (op=0x414b11d0) at listobject.c:220
#1  0x283c48 in dict_dealloc (mp=0x415b8c18) at dictobject.c:491
#2  0x2b4760 in frame_dealloc (f=0x4042ea50) at frameobject.c:116
#3  0x28b938 in eval_code2 (co=0x404a4d28, globals=0x4049bec8, locals=0x0, args=0x404da5dc, argcount=1, kws=0x0, kwcount=0, defs=0x0, defcount=0, owner=0x0)
    at ceval.c:1873
#4  0x28d690 in call_function (func=0x41497958, arg=0x404da5d0, kw=0x0) at ceval.c:2472

Can someone confirm if this is a problem at Python or in the source code, I know that this version is quite old and needs upgarde, but since this in use for long i would need evidence to prove that this is a problem at Python not in the product so that we can upgrade to the latest version.

 listobject.c
 for (i = 0; i < op->ob_size; i++) {
        Py_XDECREF(op->ob_item[i]);   //Line 220
 }

Can some one help me out in this, while i belive that the pointer where the derefernece is happening might have got corrupted but this happens rarely and the code is a provisioning script with a command that is successful most times.

Regards
Sunil