Using Python for web applications

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 30 14:50:44 EDT 2010

> Sorry for asking such a simple (or possibly complicated) question, as
> I am new to Python programming. Anyways, I have read online that many
> popular websites use Python for some of their web-based applications
> (for example, Reddit), and that lead me to wonder how is this done?

There are various options, the simplest is using a full blown web
framework which simplifies about 90% of the work and you only need to
code the logic related to your app. Two of the most popular frameworks
are django [1] and turbogears [2].

You can also go more low level by designing your own framework from
scratch which is something the bigger shops are doing like youtube.

In any case there is a wiki page that you might find useful [3].

HTH,
Daniel

[1] http://www.djangoproject.com/
[2] http://www.turbogears.org/