GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 18:44:37 EDT 2010

On Jun 14, 2:30 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt... at ixokai.io> wrote:

Stephan speaking of Wx geometry managers...

> Ahem. /Rant. I'm not saying its the best layout system in the world, but
> like your DOM/HTML example -- its resolution independant (and
> cross-platform), so you can start resizing things and changing the
> window size and it all reflows things as the window resizes. Lots of
> toolkits can do that, but I just really find the sizer approach both
> flexible and very powerful to achieve very usable interfaces. (And its
> very web-like, except the semantic difference of the two hierarchies)

Oh Stephan i strongly disagree with that assessment. Tkinter blows Wx
away with it's simultaneousness powerful AND elegantly simplistic
geometry managers, grid, pack, and place. If you have not used them to
any extent i strongly encourage you do so before boasting on the
superiority of Wx geometry management. It's like night and day really.
Wx is very ugly in this respect, again due to fact it has a C base
developer pool.