I strongly dislike Python 3

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jun 27 15:38:51 EDT 2010

On 6/27/2010 8:41 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> I think one point which needs to be emphasized more is what does
> python 3 bring to people. The" what's new in python 3 page" gives the
> impression that python 3 is about removing cruft. That's a very poor
> argument to push people to switch.

Python3 is about finishing transitions. The last stage in a transition
that replaces something old with something new is to remove the old,
after showing that the new works. I am working on a separate post for
this.) I presume most readers here who are not packrats have at some
time discarded a working machine (perhaps reluctantly) after installing
and testing a new one.

For new learners, not having to also learn the old is a real benefit.
People who already know the old typically do not see that.

 > I doubt "porting is easier than you think" will convince many people
 > if they don't know what the gain will be. For example, porting numpy
 > and scipy to py3k has been easier than I thought, but besides making
 > it easier for other people to switch, I can't see *any* benefit.

I thank you and your group for porting numpy and scipy for the benefit
of those who switch and for new Pythonistas that start with Python3. I
hope and expect that they will eventually outnumber Python2 programmers.

I agree that there may be not much reason to port custom proprietary
apps that are working fine and which would hardly benefit from, let
alone need, and new Py3 features.
--
Terry Jan Reedy