Draft PEP on RSON configuration file format

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 11:08:35 EST 2010

On Feb 28, 9:18 pm, Steven D'Aprano > Wait a minute... if JSON is too
hard to edit, and RSON is a *superset* of
> JSON, that means by definition every JSON file is also a valid RSON file.
> Since JSON is too hard to manually edit, so is RSON.

Well, Python is essentially a superset of JSON, with string escape
handling being ever so slightly different, and using True instead of
true, False instead of false, and None instead of null.  YMMV, but I
find it possible, even probable, to write Python that is far easier to
edit than JSON, and in fact, I have used Python for configuration
files that are only to be edited by programmers or other technical
types.

> Come back when you actually have MANY users other than yourself using
> this is real-world projects. Until then, it is too early to even consider
> adding it the std library. Python comes with batteries included, but not
> experimental batteries that aren't even built yet, let alone proven that
> they work.

I know that it is too early to be included in the library.  But there
is a chicken-and-egg problem.  PEP 1 says you should circulate a
design for discussion before writing code...

I fully expect this sort of negative feedback, fully expect that it
will be years (if ever) before the code makes it into the standard
library, and yet I offer the design for your perusal, just on the slim
chance that I might get a few constructive criticisms on the actual
design to go along with all the silly strawmen reductio ad absurdum
arguments by people who aren't even going to bother to read the thing.

Best regards,
Pat