Docstrings considered too complicated

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 12:42:16 EST 2010

On 2010-03-01 11:22 , Andreas Waldenburger wrote:

> Back in the software world: Those guys write code that works. It does
> what it's supposed to do. Why should we care where they put their
> comments?

Software usually needs to be maintained and extended over the course of its
lifetime. The original team that wrote it may not be available in the future.

Furthermore, docstrings are not comments. They become part of the function
object and can be introspected at runtime. This is a very important tool when
working with code at the interactive prompt and for the collection of API
documentation. Comments are less useful than docstrings; the OP's complaint was
that his programmers were putting the function documentation in other places
than docstrings, rendering them less useful than they could have been.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco