Verifying My Troublesome Linkage Claim between Python and Win7

W. eWatson wolftracks at invalid.com
Mon Mar 1 12:49:58 EST 2010

On 2/23/2010 6:04 PM, Aahz wrote:
> In article<hm0jn4$tnf$1 at news.eternal-september.org>,
> W. eWatson<wolftracks at invalid.com>  wrote:
>>
>> My claim is that if one creates a program in a folder that reads a file
>> in the folder it and then copies it to another folder, it will read  the
>> data file in the first folder, and not a changed file in the new folder.
>> I'd appreciate it if some w7 users could try this, and let me know what
>> they find.
>>
>> My experience is that if one checks the properties of the copied file,
>> it will point to the original py file and execute it and not the copy.
>
> I've no time to verify your specific claim and have no readily available
> proof for mine, but I've seen similar issues on Win7.  AFAIK, this has
> nothing to do with Python.
I've been away for several days and have no idea if anyone above figured
this out. Likely not,since your post is at the end.

Interesting about 'similar'. I'm pretty much done exploring every nook
and cranny on this problem. It can be worked around. I will say that if
I look at the properties of the copied file, it shows a shortcut tab
that leads back to the original file. I have no recollection of making a
shortcut, and always use Copy and Paste. Further, if I do create
shortcut in W7, it adds "-shortcut to the file suffix. I do not ever
recall seeing that anywhere. I just tried it in XP, and it puts it in
front of the name.