Draft PEP on RSON configuration file format

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Mon Mar 1 15:42:20 EST 2010

Patrick Maupin <pmaupin at gmail.com> writes:
> But for my use-case, YAML is irretrievably broken.  Sure, it looks
> reasonably nice, but it increases regression runtime unacceptably.

How big are the files that you want to parse with it?  Sheesh.

> Well, I've looked at the YAML parser and I can assure you that I will
> not be contributing to that project.

So write a new one that parses the same syntax, but cleaner and faster.

> XML can certainly be made readable by humans.  It's hard to make it
> writeable by (average) humans just using a regular text editor,

I do it all the time; it's a bit dreary but not difficult.  And there is
absolutely no way to get anything done in this field anymore without
dealing with XML from time to time.  So given that we all have some
experience using it, it's sensible to stick with it.

> None of the existing formats are suitable.  I may be the only one who
> feels that way.  OTOH, if we never invented new things, then I
> wouldn't be enjoying restructured text, and I'd be missing out on a
> lot there...

ReST is another abomination that should never have gotten off the
ground.  It is one of the reasons I react so negatively to your
config format proposal.  It just sounds like more of the same.