Draft PEP on RSON configuration file format

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Mar 1 18:57:42 EST 2010

Patrick Maupin wrote:
> On Feb 28, 9:18 pm, Steven D'Aprano > Wait a minute... if JSON is too
> hard to edit, and RSON is a *superset* of
>> JSON, that means by definition every JSON file is also a valid RSON file.
>> Since JSON is too hard to manually edit, so is RSON.
>
> Well, Python is essentially a superset of JSON, with string escape
> handling being ever so slightly different, and using True instead of
> true, False instead of false, and None instead of null.  YMMV, but I
> find it possible, even probable, to write Python that is far easier to
> edit than JSON, and in fact, I have used Python for configuration
> files that are only to be edited by programmers or other technical
> types.

This not only seriously stretching the meaning of the term "superset"
(as Python is most definitely not even remotely a superset of JSON), but
still doesn't address the question.  Is RSON and _actual_ superset of
JSON, or are you just misusing the term there, as well?  If it is, then
your rationale for not using JSON makes no sense if you're making a new
format that's merely a superset of it.  Obviously JSON can't be that
unreadable if you're _extending_ it to make your own "more readable"
format.  If JSON is unreadable, so must be RSON.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Skype erikmaxfrancis
   It's better to be quotable than to be honest.
    -- Tom Stoppard