taking python enterprise level?...

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Tue Mar 2 01:58:13 EST 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:20:06 -0800 (PST)
mdipierro <massimodipierro71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Joins are the bottle neck of most web app that relay on relational
> databases. That is why non-relational databases such as Google App
> Engine, CouchDB, MongoDB do not even support Joins. You have to try to
> minimize joins as much as possible by using tricks such as de-
> normalization and caching.

I keep seeing this statement but nothing to back it up.  I have created
many apps that run on Python with a PostgreSQL database with a fully
normalized schema and I can assure you that database joins were never
my problem unless I made a badly constructed query or left off a
critical index.

> I meant 512MB. The point is you need a lot of ram because you want to
> run multiple python instances, cache in ram as much as possible and
> also allow the database to buffer in ram as much as possible. You will
> see Ram usage tends to spike when you have lots of concurrent
> requests.

Put as much memory as you can afford/fit into your database server.
It's the cheapest performance boost you can get.  If you have a serious
application put at least 4GB into your dedicated database server.
Swapping is your enemy.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves