How to find an COM object in using of pywin32

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at
Tue Mar 2 09:42:46 CET 2010

* Steven Woody:
> Hi,
> I want to interactive with an OLE application with pywin32.  The
> problem is I get totally no idea how to find the object in OLEView and
> how to figure out it's interface.
> With pywin32's example, I even don't understand that in the below statement,
>   win32com.client.Dispatch('Excel.Application')
> that where the name 'Excel.Application' comes from?  In OLEView
> (Microsoft's COM brower), I cannot find this name.

It's a "programmatic identifier" a.k.a. "progid".

It identifies a COM class and it's used as a readable but more
name-collision-prone alternative to the 128-bit UUID.

You can find the programmatic identifiers in the Windows registry (use e.g.
regedit); often they're not documented.

- Alf