Broken references in postings

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Mar 2 12:46:52 EST 2010

I've noticed recently that a lot of the "refernces" and
"in-reply-to" headers in c.l.p are broken, resulting in the
inability to move from a child to a parent in a tree.

For example in a recent reply (subejct: os.fdopen() issue in
Python 3.1?), the references and in-reply-to headers both
contained:

  1267539898.477222.7.camel at necropolis

However, the article replied to has a message-ID header of

  mailman.110.1267539885.23598.python-list at python.org

I don't see 1267539898.477222.7.camel at necropolis anywhere in
the headers of the referrant.

Is something broken in the mail<->news gateway?

Or is it just individual news/mail clients that are broken?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I own seven-eighths of
                                  at               all the artists in downtown