case do problem

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Tue Mar 2 13:00:09 EST 2010

* Tracubik:
> hi, i've to convert from Pascal this code:
>
> iterations=0;
> count=0;
> REPEAT;
>   iterations = iterations+1;
>   IF (genericCondition) THEN count=count+1;
>   CASE count OF:
> 	1: m = 1
>         2: m = 10
>         3: m = 100

Uhm, is this syntactically valid Pascal? As I recall, every Pascal construct was
delimited in some way. Once I had the complete Pascal syntax in my head, but
alas, not anymore...

> UNTIL count = 4 OR iterations = 20
>
> i do something like this:
>
> iterations = 0
> count = 0
>
> m_Switch = (1,10,100)
>
> while True:
> 	iterations +=1
> 	if (genericCondition):
> 		count +=1
> 	try:
> 		m = m_Switch[count-1]
> 	except: pass
> 	if count = 4 or iterations = 20
>
> the problem is that when count = 4 m_Switch[4-1] have no value, so i use
> the try..except.

   iterations = 0
   count = 0
   while not( count == 4 or iterations == 20 ):
       iterations += 1
       # ...
       if generic_condition:
           count += 1
       # ...
       m = (1, 10, 100, 100)[count]

> Is there a better solution to solve this problem?

Define "better". Do you mean faster, more clear, shorter, using less memory, what?

Above I've assumed that you want to get rid of the try block, since that's what
you're asking about:

> and, generally
> speaking, the try..except block slow down the execution of the program or
> not?

Probably, but don't think about it. Python programming is at a level where that
kind of efficiency doesn't count. Or, ideally it shouldn't count.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf